Saturday 14 July 2012

Dumbledore's Army


 You may now all bow in the presence of my greatness, because yes the rumours are true, I had a Harry Potter themed Birthday shindig. And yes it was for my 22nd Birthday, no shame.
So on Saturday night my house was transformed (with the help of the brother and the fella) into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry complete with Wizards Chess, Cauldron Cakes, Butterbeer and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans. 

To make things more interesting and to ensure there weren't thirty Harry Potters running about, I Professor Umbridge style enforced the rule that your costume could not be a witch or wizard but must be an object/animal/creature/thing from the world of Harry Potter. A rule embraced by diehard PotterHeads, but caused the muggles of the group to issue a sigh of distain. But even those who were not intimately acquainted with our scar headed friend came up with the most amazing costumes. I might have to hold a Potter party every year!

The Golden Snitch

Hedwig

Nimbus 2000

Mandrake

The Queen from Wizards Chess

The Hogwarts Express

Arthur Weasley's Flying Ford Anglia 

Norbert the Dragon

Pigwidgeon

Broomstick

Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans

The Weasley Family Clock

The Whomping Willow

A Mandrake Root and A Chinese Fireball Dragon

Poor Mark had no knowledge of anything Harry Potter, so ended up as Scruffy 
the janitor from Futurama. At least he started in the right place with a broom (a wet mop).

After trying the delicious nectar that is Butterbeer last year in Harry Potter World Florida, I knew I would have to hold a Potter theme party just to make my own cauldron full of the mouthwatering elixir. With a little imagination and magic (the internet) I think we were able to replicate the same amazing taste, maybe even better (the alcoholic butterscotch may have had something to do with that) You can find zillions of recipes online for Butterbeer, this is where I got mine from,  I used the first in the list and substituted the syrup for butterscotch schnapps.


A lot of this then went on after a few mugs of Butterbeer


In my excitement to show off my amazing cauldron cakes, I was not able to snap many photos of my little creations before everyone violently devoured them. This instagram photo is the only one I have of them, but you can find the recipe for these adorable little cakes on the magical world wide web.


Casey and Danielle clearly enjoying their cauldron cakes

After giving me a look of utter disgust when I told him I wanted a Harry Potter themed 22nd Birthday, the fella rather enjoyed creating his Hogwarts Express costume (some would say too much) and decorating the house in a magical fashion. I particularly enjoyed the signs that invited people to a game of Wizards Chess or asked if they fancied "anything off the trolley dears?" above a selection of lollies and snacks. I also amused myself by sticking a picture of Moaning Myrtle on the back of the bathroom door, PotterHeads get it.


Thanks to all my peeps for coming along and celebrating in a magical fashion,
twas a night full of whimsy, joy and epic lols.





Special thanks to my home girl Casey who made a replica of the cake that
Hagrid gave to Harry on his Birthday in the first movie. It was amazing, even though I did ask for it......


1 comment: